Gerwin Vasquez Wilhoit
  • Sex: Male
Incident Details
  • Killed in police operation
  • Date of Incident: July 20, 2018
  • Time of Incident: 8:00 am
  • Location of Incident: Cebu City, Cebu

CEBU, Philippines — The family of an alleged drug personality who was killed in a shootout during a police operation in Barangay Tejero, Cebu City last Friday evening is crying justice, claiming no buy-bust operation happened.
On Friday night, an initial report released by the Parian police stated that a certain “Boy” was shot by one of the operatives after he allegedly tried to shoot it out with a police poseur-buyer during buy-bust.
Allegedly, the suspect tried to escape from the operatives, then pulled the trigger of his.38 pistol but misfired twice, prompting the police to shoot him once in his back, which led to his death.
The fatality was later identified as a certain Gerwin Vasquez Wilhoit, 36, a resident of Barangay Centro, Mandaue City.
Wilhoit is a biological son of retired judge Gerardo Gestopa Jr. but was adopted by his father’s sister based in the United States.
“Dili mi katuo nga aduna siyay involvement sa selling (of illegal drugs) pero kami moangkon nga mogamit gyud siya but never nga namaligya ni siya. Anha siya mo-use pero mamaligya? Never. Binuang na mas binuang nga anaay pusil niya di pa gyud mobuto? Pagkabinuang. Dili na tarong ang gibuhat ang ilang pagpasingan sa akong anak,” said Gestopa.
He said that his son had undergone drug rehabilitation twice several years ago.
And just recently, according to Gestopa, his son already decided to put himself into rehabilitation again for the sake of his family and kids.
He added that their family received several feedbacks that no buy-bust operation happened during that evening.
Allegedly, according to Gestopa, his son was just picked up by a van, tortured and then allegedly made to escape, only to be shot.
Wilhoit, based on his autopsy report, suffered a single gunshot to his back with the bullet exiting his chest.
Gestopa showed images of Wilhoit with bruises in his two knees and his face, which according to the former were signs that the latter was allegedly tortured prior to the shooting.
In the police report, Wilhoit yielded with one small pack of suspected shabu and a caliber .38 which was denied by Gestopa as belonging to his son.
Gestopa said they will “definitely” file a case against the operating team if they could gather more evidence that will support their claims.
The family also has plans to seek help from the Commission on Human Rights (CHR).
Gestopa also encouraged any possible witnesses in the area to come forward and help the family.
“Kung kinsa ang nakakita mosulti lang sa tinuod, mo-file mi og kaso.” Gestopa said.
On the other hand, Police Chief Inspector Kenneth Paul Albotra, Parian Police Station chief, reiterated that the operation against Wilhoit was legitimate.
“Legitimate to nga operation, naka-blotter ug aduna ta’y control number sa coordination sa PDEA para sa pag-conduct sa operation. It is unfortunate lang nga nisukol siya maong wala’y nahimo ang atong kapulisan kay og nibuto pud to ang iyang pusil hayan ang atong police sad ang naigo,” said Albotra in a phone interview with The FREEMAN. (FREEMAN)